Thursday, November 24, 2011

Feast of the Harvest

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Celebrations of the harvest have been occurring since humankind embraced agriculture, and it is one of my favorite times of year. I am of course thankful that I am alive! This was not a given a few months ago, and every milestone of the year seems a little more poignant and profound. I am of course so deeply grateful for my dear wife Amy, the love of my life and my best friend who has gently and lovingly nursed me back from very dire straits twice this year. And from this flows thanks to my family and friends who have been so very generous and supportive through the ordeal of my illness. It is humbling to rely on the kindness and assistance of your family and community, and I am so very grateful to them and thankful just to be here to enjoy the simplest of pleasures. To everyone reading this, I hope you had a wonderful, restful, and soul restoring day with family and friends.


Cornucopia


Cornucopia is the most common symbol of a harvest festival. A Horn shaped container, it is filled with abundance of the Earth's harvest. It is also known as the 'horn of plenty'. The traditional cornucopia was a curved goat's horn filled to brim with fruits and grains. According to Greek legend, Amalthea (a goat) broke one
of her horns and offered it to Greek God Zeus as a sign of reverence. As a sign of gratitude, Zeus later set the goat's image in the sky also known as constellation Capricorn



1 comment: